An Experience
Outcomes: 3.3
Before doing this course i had no idea that numeracy is so much important and present everywhere around us and also after the the discussion in the workshop i reflected on these two concepts and thought about it and came to a conclusion that our daily life is incomplete without it and would make no sense whatsoever and i also came to a realization about how we unintentionally incorporate it in everything we do.I started to recount the number of things i did that involved numeracy.
1: I did some cooking and the food had to be ready in half an hour.
2: I have nephew and we always count things around us like he tells me that we
are four people in the house or he asks me what time is it and tries to memorize the time.
3: I also did washing and had to set time for it.
4: I had to go to university and had to reach there at 9:00 so i had to set the alarm.
5: I distributed candies amongst children by counting with them and they counted with me.
6: I read stories with my nephew about different kinds of bugs and it had lot of literacy concepts.
7: my niece and i looked at the patterns on the ceiling and i asked her what shapes she can see and she said that she can see a circle, a square and a triangle.
8: I put up the youtube video for my nephew called " five little speckled frogs" and he knows the whole song.
9: My nephew who is 3 years old asked me about what is time and i told him that it is how we divide our day
and night into hours and minutes and seconds but he's too small to understand the complexities.
10: I put on an " abc" song for my nephew and he knows it all.
11: while putting food on the table i counted the numbers of people with my nephew.
12: I did a bit of fraction with my niece as we broke and divided the one piece of chocolate amongst three children.
So the conclusion is that numeracy has its own language and it is very important for us and as a an adult we should try to engage children by incidentally teaching children about literacy and numeracy concepts.
The impact of this realization was obviously quite strong and has got you thinking about your use of numeracy in your life, and in the lives of those around you. What specific numerical concepts did you employ during these experiences, and what skills would it take to employ these successfully, do you think? What impact may this now have on your ability to observe and offer such experiences with children B-4?
ReplyDeleteThe other day doing counting with my little nephew and he seemed really interested we counted the five fingers and he's only two years old and he would repeat the words 4, 5, 6 again and again which showed that he is beginning to have his experiences with numeracy, the mathematical concepts that i employed were, quantity, numerical,time,space.I think we can teach numeracy effectively to children by making them more aware of their surroundings as these concepts exist around us so that they can relate to them more easily and then we can build on their experiences.
ReplyDelete